Ruisvispipuuro - Whipped Rye Porridge


You might remember my post on "whipped porridge" a while ago. This time I'm posting a recipe for a similar porridge but instead of wheat semolina, I'm using rye flour. I also substituted blackcurrants for lingonberries, though you could use any berries. As the spring (and so forth summer and new berries) is approaching, so I need to start emptying my freezer. I don't know about you, but my freezer is still loaded with berries from last year. I always tend to rationing those berries in the middle of winter so as to save some for spring too but then the spring comes with such a haste, I always end up having my freezer still half-full at the start of June... And boy how it sucks eating frozen berries when you could be eating fresh ones... So better start eating them now :P

Whipped Rye Porridge

serves 2-3

200 ml water
100 g blackcurrants
2 Tbsp sugar
45 g rye flour

Bring the water to boil. Add blackcurrants (frozen is ok) and sugar. Simmer a couple minutes or so. (If you don't want to have berry skins in the porridge, sieve the mixture now or blend it to smooth.) Add rye flour while stirring vigorously. Leave on low heat for 5 minutes, while stirring as to prevent it from sticking to the bottom. Transfer to a bowl and put it in cold water bath. Whip with a hand mixer until fluffy (probably takes at least 5 min). If you don't have a hand mixer, just skip the water bath and use a stand mixer. Leave to cool before serving. Enjoy with milk. You can sprinkle some sugar on top too, if you want it sweeter. I decorated mine with frozen blackcurrants.

adapted from Yhteishyvä.



Follow Kitchenfoxtales via Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook to not miss a post!

Comments

  1. Hello! I tried your recipe and it came out great! It’s not close to anything I have eaten before (maybe the closest being “sobagaki”) and it was such an interesting experience. I’m looking forward to trying your other recipes soon :) Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it, Sal! I bet these whipped porridges are a very Finnish thing :) You should try the lingonberry whipped porridge, it's more fluffy than this whipped rye porridge (the recipe can be found: https://ketunhanta.blogspot.com/2018/09/whipped-lingonberry-porridge.html ).

      Delete
    2. Thank you! It was difficult to get hold of the wheat semolina as I live in Japan, but I finally got my hands on farina imported from the US, which (according to my google search) seems to be the closest thing I can get over here. I will try your recipe as soon as possible! ;D

      Delete
    3. That's great! Wow, Japan, my favorite country in the world :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts